Memories of the former Jewish children's home
One day in the summer of 1997, an elderly gentleman came to us in the community center. The visitor came from afar, from Canada. He introduced himself and told us about the time he had lived here as a child.
That was the beginning of the work on the history of our house.
Research showed that from 1910 to 1942, our house had been a children's home with after-school care, reading room and kindergarten for Jewish children, often from modest backgrounds. Most of the children were deported and murdered. Only a few survived. Some escaped via the “Kindertransport” (children's transports).
With a photo exhibition we would like to preserve the memories of the everyday life of the children who lived here, and at the same time remember the Jewish life in our district. Our house became the setting for the violence of Nazism.